Blind Hog and Acorn sit on the porch and record “en plein air” with the new shotgun/cardioid mic on the smartphone. Surprise! It worked out quite well. Even recorded in stereo!
Bullets from the episode on “helpful hints for starting a farm”:
- Start as debt free as you can
- Look into apprentice and internship opportunities
- Read some Joel Salatin, and even the old Scott and Helen Nearing books
- Fencing will and should always be a number one priority
- Investigate different animals, breeds, as well as breeders
- You do not buy breeding stock at the sale barn/auction house- that is where you take your problems
- Safety equipment for animal handling is cheaper in the long run than a trip to the emergency room
- Travel around the area you are thinking about farming, look at places- LOTS of places
- Consider your (wholesale/retail) market opportunities
- Building codes or property restrictions? Better fine out now than later!